Maintain Your Certification
Recertification and continuing education requirements encourage arborists to stay abreast of new industry developments and techniques. Doing so helps to maintain high standards for the certification program. Certification is granted for three years. At the end of the three-year period, all credential holders must recertify. Recertification is a two-part process: Continuing Education Units (CEUs) must be obtained, and the recertification fee must be paid. If you do not recertify through the CEU process you must retest in order to maintain the certification.
CEUs required for each ISA certification:
- Certified Arborist: 30 CEUs
- Utility Specialist: 6 Utility CEUs + 30 Arborist CEUs = 36 Total
- Municipal Specialist: 12 Municipal CEUs + 30 Arborist CEUs = 42 Total
- Tree Worker/Climber Specialist & Aerial Lift Specialist: 15 CEUs
- Board Certified Master Arborist: 60 CEUs (20 in each area of science, practice, & management)
- CEUs must be obtained over the three-year certification period.
CEUs DO NOT carry over from one certification period to the next.
To receive credit for ISA pre-approved events, you must sign the sign-in sheet at the end of the event. Failure to do so will result in you not receiving those CEUs.
Please note that CEUs may take up to 4-6 weeks to process once they reach ISA headquarters.
How do I obtain Continuing Education Units (CEUs)?
- Seminars and Courses related to arboriculture
- International Society of Arboriculture Approved Publications & Videos
- In-house training programs
- CPR & First Aid Training
- TCIA home study programs
- Arborist News CEU quizzes
Check the Status of Your CEUs.
You can check your CEUs online at the International web site at http://www.isa-arbor.com in the members-only section; you will need a user name and password. Or you may call the International office at 217-355-9411or toll-free at 888-ISA-TREE and request that such information be mailed to you.
If you have any questions on maintaining your ISA Certification please call 217-355-9411 or toll-free at 888-ISA-TREE Monday-Friday 8am-5pm CST or email at firstname.lastname@example.org